Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A bit stuck with this one.....


I find with oil painting, I tend to have several on the go at once. This is purely making the most of the time when I can paint. When I reach a point where I need to let it dry before I continue, if I have another one, I can use my time to work on that. Time is a very very precious commodity once you have babies (sleep is perhaps the most precious commodity and as both babies are asleep right now (sleepidossse is what we call it in this family), I should be asleep on the couch right now). But no, thought I would post this one as I'm a bit stuck with it.


Please ignore the whole bottom part of it. That part is just blocked it at present so needs all the tidying up and also the road needs work and the lines on it. What I am concerned about is the sky which is what I wanted to be the dominant thing in this painting. I wanted to capture that feeling of a dominant oppressive sky coming over you. But with patches of thinner cloud from which bright light is poking through which is illuminating that field near the back. I just don't think it works as to how I want it to work and I'm not too sure what to do about it and how to fix it. I'll keep you posted though. I'm also trying to use a limited palette. For this one I used: Ultramarine Blue, Alizeron Crimson, Indian Yellow, Burnt Sienna and Titanium White. I really like mixing greys from complementaries now and I can't see myself every again using a grey from black and white. I just find the greys have so much more life when they are mixed from colours.


And right now while babies are sleeping I am about to prepare 2 canvas's with modelling textures as I have an idea for 2 abstract landscapes that I am going to resin (as resin is just so cool). Just need to think about colours and as I am resining I will have to do both paintings in acrylics.

No comments: