Thursday, April 17, 2008

WIP - Sumner journey (or something)...not too sure of title until finished


I feel like I have lots of unfinished works and I didn't want to post until I had something finished. However I have put all the others aside so I can work on this one which is based on the photo taken by Mario Brischetto from LMB Photography as per the post below. You can see the photo printed out on A4 above the painting. Leanne (Mario's wife and co-photographer) sent me the original photo as well as this version with the intense colours. I wanted to try and capture those deep turquoises so this is where I am at so far.


Still a long long way to go, the sky needs more glazes to get the depth I want and I've only just started on the water this morning. You can see my rough pencil marks for the boat and where the real highlighted reflections will be. I'm hoping to work more on this when babies are sleeping this afternoon but thought I had better post progress as it has been a week since I last posted!
I stuck tissue paper onto the canvas to give a subtle texture as then did a light wash of Indian Yellow because I wanted that warmth to come through. At the moment I've dropped the boat a little from the original photo, but not sure yet if that will work, it may get moved up.

2 comments:

Leanne Brischetto said...

WOW - I can totally see it starting to happen! This is exciting - looking forward to showing Mario this evening. :)

xx

Melissa Muirhead said...

Thanks Leanne, I actually got heaps more done on it tonight so will take another photo in daylight tomorrow and post the progress. Still a lot to go yet but I'm starting to get the right feel with it and now I've blocked in everything, I think those colours are really working.