Thursday, January 24, 2008

A 3 minute drawing

I have been painting lots - still working on my NZ art guild art awards piece but I just have one last thing to add tomorrow when it is dry enough to paint over and then I just hope it will dry in time to be delivered on Tuesday. I have been using Liquin, so it should be fine but the humidity we are having in Auckland at present seems to be affecting the drying time of the oil paint. However I did put it outside today and it seemed to help (don't know if I am imaging things or not) but hopefully it will all be over soon.


I have reached the point with this painting where I just want it to be finished and I want to start something new. I am definitely a deadline freak and I always work best to deadlines and specific timeframes. However a 16 month old and a 4 month old don't always seen to understand that Mummy has deadlines so it is definitely a juggling act finding the time to paint sometimes - I generally try and pick up a paintbrush at least once a day, even if it is for just 10 minutes. I am also very very lucky to have the loveliest husband in the world who is very supportive of my art and when I am trying to get things finished, he is very good at holding the fort down with the babies and playing around with photoshop to help with with ideas for colours or composition.


Anyway, on a completely different track, I have started studying a Diploma in Art and Creativity through The Learning Connexion which is an art school based in Wellington. I am doing this extramurally and at the moment am working through a whole pile of drawing exercises. This is one that I did last night in 3 minutes that I thought I would just post here. Obviously it could be developed much much further, but it is of my 14-year old step-son Alex when he was sitting on the couch. He wanted me to draw a cartoon of him but I thought that I would do the real thing first.


1 comment:

Sandra T said...

I'll be interested to see a photo of your Art Guild competition painting later on. Love the drawing - is it pastel? Good luck with your TLC study - I've just started Stage 2 extramurally part time - and I'm loving it.