Saturday, June 20, 2009

WIP - Figure in oils

It is a glorious sunny winter's day here in Auckland (yet again) which is such a change from the constant rain we normally get in winter. It does mean that it is colder but I can live with that. I have just had a blissful hour and a half in the studio while my children sleep. That is a biggie this week as naptime has been a battle most days with my son who is going through a stage at the moment (if you read between the lines a "stage" means lots and lots of tantrums as part of the terrible two's).

Normally on a sunny day I like to have the garage door up and sit in the sun to paint, but it is too cold today so instead I had the fan heater at my feet and my ipod on and painted to Wycliff Jean then Tracy Chapman and it was great.

I still have a long long way to go on this one but I am enjoying the slow process of building up the form - it almost feels like I am trying to sculpt it and each time I have a crack at this one, I build her up just a little bit more. I still don't know how I will do the background. I just threw some red paint on today just to see how that would work and I quite like that so I think she will stay sitting on something red but it might look a look different to this. It is a fairly large painting as you can see from my easel (which is not a small easel) in the photo but I am really enjoying the journey with this one.

No comments: