Monday, December 22, 2008

Charcoal Pencil Portrait - Tayla



On Saturday I decided that I wasn't happy with the last portrait that I drew of Tayla and that it didn't match the one I had done of Carter. I looked through my photos but couldn't find one that worked for me so I decided that my daughter should do another photo session for me.

Well, 140 photos later, I had a couple that I really liked and the one that this drawing is based on was my favourite. So last night I sat on the couch and drew while half watching a DVD and I was so so pleased with the outcome. This is now definitely my favourite so far and I can just see how much I am improving with every portrait.


And here are the two framed portraits together. I really love them and half wish they weren't Christmas presents so that I could hang them on our walls.
For this latest one I tried using carbon pencils alongside the charcoal pencils for the eyes and some of the fine detail of her hair. I like the sharp point and fine detail you can get but still prefer the intense velvety darks you get with charcoal. I can see me using them in the future in conjunction with charcoal but not to do an entire drawing.

2 comments:

Leanne Brischetto said...

These look fantastic framed!!

Hey thanks for the well wishes too ... I hope you and your fam have a lovely Xmas too. :)

xxx

Paulette said...

Beautiful work!
What great Christmas presents.
Merry Christmas!